Enlarged pores is very common, especially in a hot and humid place like Singapore. Read more below.
Enlarged pores are slight depressions in the top layer of the skin’s surface which contain one or more openings to the ducts carrying sweat and oil from their respective eccrine glands and sebaceous glands. If your skin produces more sebum, the larger the pores will be. The excess oil affects the skin’s texture, leaving your skin feeling oily.
Some common factors that cause large pores:
- Increased sebum/oil production
- Size of hair follicles
- Use of comedogenic products
- Loss of skin elasticity (typically due to age)
- Excessive sun exposure leading to sun damage
Having sebum in your body’s natural oil to moisturise and hydrate your skin. However, too much sebum causes oily skin, which can lead to clogged pores and acne.
Treating enlarged pores is the same way to treat acne. It is important to unclog pores in order to remove excess oil and dirt and have healthy skin. You should exfoliate the skin once a week to get rid of dead skin cells and prevent clogged pores. Chemical exfoliants like hydroxy acid, whether it is AHA or BHA, help to safely exfoliate the skin without stripping its natural oils way. They work on all skin types. You are also recommended to use oil-free cleansers and face masks to cleanse your face.
These are some things you can do at home to treat your pores. However, if you are looking for professional treatments, here at Nuffield Wellness, we offer chemical peels to help reduce the size of pores and reduce inflammation. To read more about our chemical peels, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Washing your face daily with a gentle cleanser helps to remove dirt, oil and sebum from the face which often cause clogged pores.
2. Exfoliate the skin once a week to removed dead skin cells from the skin.
3. Home treatments such as clay masks work well to extract dirt deep in the skin.
4. Professional treatments like chemical peels help to reduce the size of pores as well.